Friday, July 16, 2010

A concert that was never meant to be

This summer, Caribbean people living in the United States were slated for a big musical treat. I, along with my fellow Caribbean people, was elated to hear about the return of Kassav. The last time the group toured the United States was in 2008, and it was a big success. This year, the group was to kick off their tour on the 10th in Miami, Florida, but it never happened. Needless to say, I was very disappointed, and I am sure I wasn’t the only one. I’m used to bands in the Haitian Music Industry (HMI) cancelling performances, but I was shocked to hear about Kassav’s cancellation. The management group for Kassav had to cancel the tour due to visa complications.
The note read as followed:

To all Kassav fans, media & press,
We regret to inform you the KASSAV 2010 USA TOUR has been canceled due to visa complications. The Department of Homeland Security failed to pass two of the key musicians. As a result, Kassav sadly will not be coming to the USA this year. We apologize for all the inconveniences caused by this cancellation. All ticket holders can get full refund at point of purchase (where you purchased your tickets)
We again express our deepest regret for the disappointment of our supporters, but this situation was beyond our control.
Kassav Management
Mr. Francois Pinard/Los Production Paris
The cancellation prompted me to inquire if we hold bands, which are not part of the HMI to a different standard than the HMI bands, after all had this been T-vice, Carimi, and Djakout it wouldn’t have gone silently into the shadows of partial so called media heads [radio host, tv shows]. I find myself wondering, when were these contracts created, and when did the band members apply for their visas? This certainly is not Kassav’s first time touring the states, and I’m sure they knew the magnitude of their visits as they have seen much fan response during the 2008 tour. I find Kassav at fault for this cancellation because promotions don’t start until contracts are signed and of course why would you sing a contract not having had your visa situation in order [shame shame on you..]. As some of you know it’s hard to get your money back from promoters. I think these bands need to get their act together, because it’s not fair to the fans but that in itself goes to show the level of respect that the promoters have towards the paying fans.

0 comments:

Post a Comment